Sunday, October 5, 2008

Coherence?

This was a difficult topic for me to wrap my head around... I didn't really know where to start or what to say. Probably, because I don't think the way Barthelme did (but then again, neither does most of the world). He writes in a stream of consciousness that I just don't follow, though that could be the point. Two songs specifically come to mind when I think about incoherence and randomness. The Beatles' "I am the Walrus" and "Helter Skelter." I love these two songs, though I don't understand what they mean or what they're about. They just flow over words and phrases and little riffs and they make no sense. Yet they are classic works of art and I escape when I hear them.

~Maybe escape is part of it, maybe escaping reality whether through drugs or music made on drugs is its reasoning. What is reason? Why is it so important? It's so bright in here, I should turn off the overhead light... I can't focus and I don't know what to say or why I have to say anything. Econ is stupid...I like listening to Daniel, but not reading this stuff especially when I know I have a test. I'm dreading October 8, 2008. Eight oh Eight...hmmm. I still haven't finished that stupid 342 assignment either. That class and 201; what a waste of my life and time. Time is so important and there are only 24 hours in a day...no matter how much money you have you can't buy time. What could you buy? Life is all about choices and reasoning...what is the reason/ meaning of life? Love...~
`

This is the best I can do...I love being random but this is so hard it's not random, but forced. It takes an amazing author to write the way he wrote... You don't have to understand, you just have to listen and appreciate...escape. This was my attempt at a "acid tripping" writing...my conflict is between what I should do and what I want to do and trying to do both.

I attached those two songs...maybe people will enjoy them more that Barthelme's work...though both the author and song writers were obviously on something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOKvonLrH8
"I am the Walrus"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9KRpEkGfY&feature=related
"Helter Skelter"

No comments: