Sunday, November 9, 2008

Virgin Reads Comic Book

I quite enjoyed this article... her experience reading the Watchmen was similar to mine in the sense that I was a comic book virgin as well, but she was definitely more intense in her experience than I was.
I loved the way in which she wrote and her metaphor for a girl's "first time"... it was very humorous and gripping. I actually thought some of the same things she did while reading and I myself liked Dan (but also Laurie) the best...he was more realistic, more human somehow and I was pulling for him and Laurie.
The rape, which later turned into a secret tryst resulting in Laurie, really threw me (but then again the book itself did that), but I also liked (and she mentions this) the fact that not one of the Watchmen (or Minutemen) is a true, idealized, super-hero...they are all flawed and cruel in some way.
She looked to this as a new exciting experience and I looked at it as something I "had" to do for class. Looking back I wish I had approached the Watchmen the same way...I feel I missed out by not doing it her way. I was not looking forward to "reading a comic book." I didn't know how to read one and I thought it was slightly juvenile...I was wrong. It was an amazingly twisted book and I thoroughly enjoyed it...I liked the twists and turns and the clues you don't really understand at first...the Watchmen is first-rate piece of writing and I honestly can't wait to see it translated into film..."Who watches the Watchmen," we all will....

1 comment:

Jdwyman said...

I agree with you. I was not very intrigued with the idea of reading a comic book about super-heros either. Perhaps I should have taken a better, neutral approach at tackling this assigned reading. I think that I, too may have missed out on a great treat by being so pessimistic towards comic books.